Announcing the OUT THERE 2013 Speakers and Performers
It’s our fifth year. How did THAT happen?
And while we aren’t going to have someone jump out of plane to celebrate, we are proud to announce what might be our most ambitious line up in the short history of TEDxColumbus. Join us on October 11 from 9-4 (with happy hour until 5) at COSI to witness this collection of thinkers, researchers, provocateurs, rainmakers, entertainers and game-changers, all of whom, in their own right, are doing things truly OUT THERE. Come join a dynamic crowd of curious folks to be collectively provoked, challenged and inspired, while connecting, conversing and processing it all together.
A few changes from past year’s events: We have selected more speakers — but to speak for shorter times, upon audience request. We’ve curated two special groups to join our expected, provocative talks. Here is the complete lineup (access their bios and abstracts through the speaker home page here).
For being OUT THERE in their investigations, solutions, ideas, courage or reach. Talks include:
- On rebuilding cities, Mohamed Ali.
- On global warming, David Bromwich .
- On gender fluidity, Gabrielle Burton.
- On revolutionizing hacking, Chris Domas.
- On finding new planets, Scott Gaudi.
- On giving back out there, when you are in there, Jim Fussell
- On a basic unmet human need, Nancy Kramer.
- On the courage to change, Decker Moss.
- On reaching deep inside the brain, Ali Rezai.
- On new rules for systems, Joe Simkins.
- On entertaining us, Tobin-Wilcox and The Castros.
Five in five. (Okay, we did want to celebrate being five.)
For being OUT THERE in their passions – in five minutes each.
- On writing through logic, Miriam Bowers Abbott.
- On paying attention, Chris Fraser.
- On exploring within, Josh Hara.
- On coming out of the valley, Stephanie Hughes.
- On a dynamic bike city, Jess Mathews.
Sensory Talks. Playing on the five theme (last time, promise!), we’ve invited a group of speakers to share an incredible range of thinking on our five main senses.
- On smells in a city, Dax Blake.
- On our scent and taste memory, Tom Knotek.
- On saving sight, Kaweh Mansouri.
- On the power of touch, Lori Guth Moffett.
- On challenging the ability to listen, Susan Nittrouer.
And we encourage you to move quickly if you’d like to attend. We expect, as always, tickets to sell out. Tickets can be purchased here.
TEDxColumbus 2013 is made possible with support of the following partners:
Lead Sponsor, resource.
Media Partner, WOSU